|Photo by Greg Lotus, Vogue Italia May 2007|
With Thinspirational pictures on every social media outlet, the ever present fit celebs everywhere we turn - it's exhausting and frankly mentally draining! Getting or staying in shape is on everyone lips (no pun intended). With the abundance of tips in the market it's extremely to feel overwhelmed and even easier to give up and grab that jar of Nutella (true story). Well mon petites, we have hope by way of Anja Garcia, RN, MSN and DailyBurn.com personal trainer who shares her tips on 5 simple and inexpensive things you can do to help maintain your haute body, while not breaking the bank. These foolproof tips are straightforward and can be incorporated into anyone's lifestyle. Thinspirations be damn ladies! Let's get fit~
1. Ditch the gym membership and get out there! Being outside opens the doors to great physical activities: hit the pool, get out the bike or take a hike with friends.
2. Looking to lose weight? Replace your morning coffee with a healthy Protein Shake to make sure your body's metabolism gets started right. Look for a protein shake that's got probiotics, fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes and is free of soy, dairy, gluten and artificial sweeteners but has no more than 5g of sugar. Add some fruit and ice and you'll be licking your lips and dropping pounds.
3. Join a community volleyball, tennis or softball league. It's a great way to get regular exercise and make new friends.
4. Have some staple fitness equipment on hand. A jumprope is a fun way to get the heart rate up fast, resistances bands give you all the benefits of strength training without the cost and weight, and a stability ball is great for core strength but can also be used as a chair when you're at your desk teaching you better body alignment while you work. And of course, a bicycle (even a used one from Craig's list) is a fantastic way to add exercise to a commute, an errand, etc. Don't forget the helmet!
5. Join an inexpensive online gym like DailyBurn.com. Just like movies and TV shows, more and more workouts are available anytime, anywhere via your smartphone, tablet and computer. Cheaper and more convenient then a gym, you can find the right time, trainer and workout that fits your needs and lifestyle perfectly.
Most importantly, find something you like to do that's fun so you'll make it part of your routine and get in shape while enjoying yourself as well.
Anja Garcia is a registered pediatric ICU nurse, fitness instructor, certified group exercise instructor through AFAA since 2005 and health coach who studied public health as an undergrad at the University of California, Berkeley. An elite level gymnast, Anja has a passion for health and fitness and discovering how to share her knowledge with others. She started teaching group fitness at the end of college and her ability to change lives changed her own. Anja received her Masters of Science in Nursing from the University of San Francisco, and soon after worked in the pediatric intensive care unit at UCLA.
Friday, October 11, 2013
5 Must Have Fitness Tips
at 12:30 PM